Wednesday 22 March 2017

Back in India after 35 years

Yesterday I landed in New Delhi for the first time after my back-packer visit in 1982. That visit 35 years ago resulted in me moving to Canada in 1990 because I met the lovely Mary Vandenboom at a train station in India (long story). I am here for work together with my colleague Prashant.

Today we visited one of our partner organizations called INSCOL. They have been training medical staff and ventured with Seneca (and my old digs Niagara College) to send groups of BSc Nursing graduates to do post-graduate specialization programs in Canada. Since 2009 the founder Daljit and his son Pukhraj have been sending thousands of excellent nurses who have enriched the Canadian job market especially in the fields of gerontology, chronic health care and end-of-life care.

Before these nurses come to Canada, they first do a three week preparation program. Today I was able to address one of the groups hoping to come to Toronto in May 2017.

In the library of the INSCOL academy they have small things to prepare students such as mittens and hats to be ready for the cold Canadian winters (here temperatures vary between 20 - 40 degrees C).

In the same office complex as where the INSCOL Academy is housed, the Canadian Consulate has its offices. The city of Chandigarh where we were today is the capital of the State of Punjab in the north western region of India. Tonight Prashant and I were at an event where we met the Canadian Consul here, so we learned some good facts from him about the Canadian presence here while we were able to give him a brief update of the activities of Seneca in India in general and in the Punjab in specific.

No comments:

Post a Comment