Monday 8 May 2017

Work in Suzhou, China

On Saturday evening I left my home in Niagara to travel via Vancouver and Manila (Philippines) to Shanghai in China. Long route which I took because I was originally going to attend an event in Manila (before coming to China) which I had to cancel because of the funeral of my mother-in-law. Last Friday we had a wonderful celebration of life for her after her 86 years in the world. I kept the original route to keep the change fees for the flights to a minimum. The flights were excellent but long (5 hours + 13 hours) and then we had a three hour delay for the flight to Shanghai. But eventually that flight was good as well, a pre-booked driver brought me after these 34 hours of flights and airport waits to the nearby city of Suzhou with a smooth two hour drive. I visited this city in 1997 when it has 6 million people and again two years ago when it had grown to 16 million people. Back this week to work on a promising partnership with a local institution.
My office for the coming three days. And while working away I am listening at the TV to wonderful Chinese modern music. The photo below I took from a recorded concert which could have been any western musician like Bruce Springsteen, but of course the songs are all in Chinese (Mandarin).

This is the view from my hotel room window. Lots of green and one of the many lakes in this region (also sometimes called the Venice of China) but in the background you can see some of the tall buildings of this large city. In my hotel they host this week an international conference on neuro-science. China is becoming a world leader in so many ways....

No comments:

Post a Comment