Sunday 18 August 2013

Rotarians in Santarem, northern Brazil


Steven Winn Alexander in action in his administrator's office at the "Foundation of Hope". Steven organized the local logistics for my short 3 days visit to Santarem where he has now lived well over 20 years after having been around the world in places such as Brazil (several times starting as young volunteer with the Peace Corps), Vietnam (with USAID) and Alaska (as health administrator).

Steven has been a Rotarian for many years and he assisted the past years with the final reporting for the used funds from the Rotary International Foundation. Steven made most of the photos that I am using for these blog postings (that is why you suddenly see me so many times in the photos).


Steven picked me up at the Santarem airport last Tuesday together with Thiago Riker, the current Club President of the Santarem Rotary Club. They made sure that I was settled in a local hotel and in the evening picked me up for a "working" dinner with a number of fellow Rotarians:



Steven took me around the "Foundation of Hope" dental and medical clinics the next day (see one of the next posts). Mother & child care was wonderfully organized in this center...


Just to make sure the newly donated dental chairs were comfortable. I got out there quickly though when she reached for her equipment (I just had my 6 month check in Niagara in June....).


Another Rotarian, Getulio, took me around town a bit (here in front of the might Amazonas river) and then to two of the hospitals where Rotary had donated medical equipment (see the next post).


Bunch of "cool dudes" those Rotarians of all ages, eh....?

No comments:

Post a Comment